Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sit! Stay!




I just ran into a friend who told me her mother-in-law is coming for a visit. My friend, FM, needs to buy a chair for her; one that is comfortable and requires little bending to get in and out. Could I recommend something? She thought she might try IKEA and while some of them do look pretty good, I worry that they just won't last. She also thought she might try Design Within Reach, while much more expensive would be much more durable.

My first online stop was Hive Modern where I found these (both by Saarinen):



and this Eames/Saarinen collaboration...



All of the chairs have fabric options (which will probably rile the purists) but I know that FM's apartment is predominantly white (good girl) so she can get them in white or off-white.

Then I went to DWR and found this lovely piece designed in 2005 by Jeffrey Bennett.



These chairs range between $1200 and $2600 so FM would really need to be committed.

(i also snooped around Knoll but the site is not as navigable. however,i think any dedicated shopper would try the source to see if there is a break in price)

Just to offer FM some choices, I went to IKEA and found this for $300.



FM thought this looked comfortable and said "...it just has to last 7 days in the end...."


Hee!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete