Monday, February 14, 2011

Raggin' on Mags



Today I was flipping through my new issue of Elle Decor. By flipping, I mean I was brushing through pages on my iPad, I think perhaps the least satisfying magazine experience. I will happily subscribe to electronic magazines if they figure out that a simulated carbon copy of the mag is not the wave of the future.

I found I was drawn more to the ads because they dealt with one idea at a time, hence less busy. I stumbled upon an ad for a designer I was just talking about with my friend, ML, last Saturday night: the painter and designer Madeline Weinrib. (thanks to DDS for turning me on to her)

ML was admiring my clutch.





Ms Weinrib is the grand-daughter of ABC Carpet and Home's founder Max Weinrib. She carries on the tradition beautifully with rugs, pillows and other textiles. This one is in our living room.








This runner is out at the humble cottage.


and if I am in an ironing mood, you might just be using these napkins at dinner.




When I was searching out a little more info on Ms. Weinrib I found a site for "Copy Cat Chic". I understand that many people cannot afford to shop at ABC carpet sample sales but please do not support direct ripoffs. This hurts the artist especially if she is a living, working artist.

How to turn this back into a rag about mags, I don't know. But if my electronic magazines continue to force me to talk about their ads, I am certain to let the subscription run out.

Feature: Cruisin' the Mags

No comments:

Post a Comment