Saturday, February 12, 2011

The "C" word




Cozy. That bastard word again. It keeps following me around. Hard as I try to keep it away, the little interloper keeps showing up in my living room or my kitchen. I thought the white walls were enough to frighten it, but when more and more antiques showed up in the living room, it started to have a seat in one of the chairs. The proportion of white dwindled in proportion to brown. But finally it was a book (ok, closer to 150 of them) that asked Cozy to spend the night. Then it moved in.

NK and I read a great deal. I like to buy books. I like to own them. I love seeing them on the shelves before and after they are read. Most book lovers I know like to keep these friends nearby if possible. All the existing bookshelves in the apartment were filled and my guys were piling up on top of all the horizontal surfaces and inviting in Cozy’s unkempt baggy-trousered cousin: Clutter.




Another piece of furniture, a bookshelf, had to be bought. Went to Crate and Barrel and found a simple, handsome, sturdy freestanding 4-tiered bookshelf in espresso. Viewed in the store, it didn’t look that heavy or dark. But then it didn’t have any books in it. As soon as the case was delivered and filled with my friends, I suddenly had a 4 and a half foot tall chunk of dark sitting in the living room. Cozy was here (but at least Clutter left, went down the street to get a beer in a bag from the local bodega).







It has bugged me for few years and I haven’t found a solution till today. I was thumbing through some past issues of Dwell magazine and saw a rendering of the Universal Shelving Unit by Dieter Rams (for Vitsoe), Perfection! Looked up Vitsoe and lo and behold the NY store is on Bond Street. Look at me not having to travel more than 2 blocks from my house once again. Hee!





(this is not our apt. i would never have plants! i will take a pic once we get them in)

Feature: Up Close and Personal

No comments:

Post a Comment