Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If you have to ask the price, then...



When my February issue of Wallpaper arrived electronically, I was rather excited because it was the Design Awards 2011 issue. Now who isn’t thrilled when a major publication wraps up a year’s worth of design investigation and puts it all together between some 160 odd pages? I was hoping to see extraordinary, forward thinking, thought provoking, awe-inspiring ideas and things. Now, I know that Wallpaper isn’t the pinnacle of design mags but I thought it deserved some rank. My takeaway from “leafing” through the pages was that this is spoiled rag of the super rich.

From Biggest Home (Antilla Tower, Mumbai)





to Eco Luxury (Petit h collection by Hermes)





to Best City (Rio de Janiero).



(whatever)


And now for Best Boat...the winner is:



Really? Really?

Nearly everything in the issue was at a dollar scale so prohibitive and decadent that I honestly felt disgusted.


(on a side note there was the confusing layout of the issue itself. There were the Design Awards, the Judges' Awards and the Domestic Design Awards. We were shown the Judges' Contenders somewhere in the middle and then there were the Readers' Choice Awards (ok that one I get) and the Winner Aren't Awards. The problem in navigating the issue may be a product of the e-mag medium. I will investigate this further in a later post)

No comments:

Post a Comment